A man named Randy Pausch, who like my grandfather, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He passed away early Friday morning, alomst a year after the doctors told him he had 3-6 months to live. This gentleman was a professor and worked on virtual reality things. He also gave his "Last Lecture" at the school he taught, which can be seen on YouTube, and wrote a book to with the same title to go along with it. I read the book when it first came out in February but decided to reread it over the weekend. In it was a lot of really smart thing that I would like to share.
-- "When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they've given up on you."
-- The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something.
-- Brick walls ar ethere for a reason. And once you get over them-even if someone has practically had to throw you over-it can be helpful to others to tell them how you did it.
-- You can always change your plan, but only if you have one.
-- Ask yourself: Are you spending your time on the right things?`
-- (voice mail message left after getting married) "Hi this is Randy. I waited until I was thirty-nine to get married, so my wife and I are going away for a month. I hope you don't have a problem with that, but my boss does. Apparently, I have to be reachable." I then gave the names of Jai's parents and the city where they lived. "If you call directory assistance, you can get their number. And then, if you can convince my new in-laws that your emergency merity interrupting their only daughter's honeymoon, they have our number." We didn't get any calls.
--Complaining does not work as a strategy. We all have finite time and energy. Any time we spend whining is unlikely to help us achieve our goals. And it won't make us happier.
-- "People will show you their good side. Almost everybody has a good side. Just keep waiting. It will come out."
--Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
-- Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
-- No job is beneath you.
No comments:
Post a Comment