I had my third ultrasound today. I got the order from my doctor because on the last ultrasound they saw fluid in the kidneys. So I went to the Maternal Fetal Medicine Department at the hospital. They did a Level II ultrasound and I got to see the doctor right away.
After the ultrasound, the doctor said that the kidneys look fine. She actually believed that the fluid was within normal limits. There was actually something else they were looking at. In the last ultrasound, they saw things in the baby's brain called Choriod Plexus Cysts. They appear in about 1% of fetuses. There is a correlation between the cysts and a chromosome abnormality called Trisomy 18 (Downs is Trisomy 21). Trisomy 18, also called Edwards Syndrome, is fatal to the baby and most babies don't live longer than a week. The ultrasound today was completely normal and showed no issues. Statistically there are other anatomy problems with this syndrome. The doctor said that with my age and the fact that the ultrasound was completely normal, there is a 1 in 400 chance that the baby will have Trisomy 18, which is very low odds. The only way to confirm a diagnosis is with an amniocentesis. David and I decided not to get the amnio. The only benefit to having the amnio is to be prepared because there is nothing that can be done. I may have this issue lingering over my head the whole pregnancy but it seems crazy to subject the baby to a whole bunch of other risks if everything looks normal now.
On a side note, I have a friend who's cousin had a baby with Edwards Syndrome on November 30th. Before they even knew about Edwards, they could tell something was wrong. The baby, Julia, was measuring small and there were obvious issues with her heart and kidneys. They didn't realize it was Edwards until after she was born (they thought it could be Downs originally). So comparing the two situations, our baby appears normal and Julia had a lot of issues very early on.
I am trying to stay positive but may need a few extra prayers to stay focused on the amazing fact that I'm going to have another baby boy soon!!
No comments:
Post a Comment